This document contains various information for developers or anyone interested in contributing to NetSurf.
Last updated 11 November 2007
The source is kept in a Subversion repository. To check the source out use the command:
$ svn checkout svn://svn.netsurf-browser.org/trunk/netsurf
You can also browse the source via the web interface.
Contact James to get write access to the SVN repository.
The autobuilder compiles NetSurf every 15 minutes if changes have been checked into SVN.
A debug version of NetSurf can be built. This is command-line only and does not include any GUI code. It runs natively on Linux so can be debugged and checked using gdb, efence, valgrind, etc.
In addition to the compiler, NetSurf requires a number of additional tools to be available. These are enumerated below. Additionally, the libraries which NetSurf uses are also listed
- cAres & cURL (http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/)
- IJG JPEG library (http://www.ijg.org/)
- MNG decoding library (http://www.libmng.com/)
- OpenSSL (http://www.openssl.org/)
- libXML 2 (http://www.xmlsoft.org/)
- Zlib (http://www.zlib.org)
RISC OS specific libraries
- OSLib 6.80 or later (http://ro-oslib.sourceforge.net/)
- Pencil (http://source.netsurf-browser.org/trunk/pencil/)
- RUfl (http://zamez.org/rufl)
The main method of communication between the developers is the
#netsurf IRC channel.
The developers' mailing list is also used for less transient communication.
Translations of NetSurf to other languages are welcome. No programming knowledge is required, just the ability to use a template editor and a text editor. Please see the translations page for more information.